About Me

My photo
Welcome to my small little world of sweet treats. Passionate about baking cakes, cupcakes, truffles and eating them too! Having being exposed to such wonderful home-made treats from a very young age, I hope to bring across my passion and love for baking and creating new recipes through this site. All in all, this will focus on fun as well as healthy baking, decorating and everything else creative (could include my love for painting/sketching as well, so I could divert a little from my blog's title :)). Thanks for visiting!

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Triple berry cobbler


I love berries, their tartness combined with a slight sweetness and the fact that they are loaded with vitamins and antioxidants. This pushed me to come up with a healthy cobbler recipe in spite of the fact that I am trying to stay away from the oven in this heat. You can either eat it cold or serve it hot with a nicely flavored vanilla bean ice cream. And it's healthy enough to be had for breakfast, for those with a sweet tooth! Apologize for the blurry pictures...


Triple berry cobbler
(adapted from Eating well)

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup reduced-fat milk
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla bean split lengthwise or vanilla bean extract
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen triple berries (blueberries, raspberries and marionberries) (this can be replaced by any berry or fruit such as peach/plum) 

Preparation

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add milk, sugar and vanilla; stir to combine.
  3. Add oil to the batter and stir to combine. Pour the batter into the pan. Spoon  the berries evenly over the batter.
  4. I used a small terracotta pan, just liked the rustic feel of it. But any pan can be used in it's place. Place the pan in the oven and bake until the top of the cobbler is browned and the batter around the fruit is completely set, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Remove to a wire rack to cool for at least 15 minutes. Serve warm.



2 comments: