Ceviche for those who don't know is a dish that is typically made from fresh raw fish marinated in citrus juices such as lemon or lime and spiced with chilli peppers. Additional seasonings such as onion, salt, and pepper may also be added. Ceviche is usually accompanied by side dishes that complement its flavors such as sweet potato, lettuce, corn, or avocado [courtesy wikipedia.com]
Peruvian Tilapia Ceviche Recipe
(inspiration from http://www.all-fish-seafood-recipes.com/index.cfm/recipe/Peruvian_Tilapia_Ceviche)
- Cut fish into small pieces.
- Squeeze lime halves over the fish pieces in a large bowl. (A hand juicer works nicely for this.)
- Be sure all of the pieces are completely covered with lime juice.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set it in the refrigerator to marinate overnight or for at least 12 hours. (The acidity of the lime juice cooks, or cures, the tilapia.) Mine went over 24 hours, it doesn't hurt.
- Remove from the refrigerator, do not drain.
- Chop onion, cilantro, tomatoes, avocado, jalapeno and add it into the marinated fish.
- Mix in olive oil and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with assorted crackers as an appetizer. Or eat it for dinner!